During the official visit of the Lebanese President General Emile Lahoud to Poland in 2004, the President awarded Lebanese Decorations to a number of Polish personalities who have played a major role in promoting Lebanese-Polish relations.
On 30 March 2005, the Lebanese Ambassador to Poland Mr. Massoud Maalouf and his wife Janet organized a reception in the new residence of the embassy to honor these personalities. Around 200 persons attended this reception, including officials from different departments of the Polish Government, Ambassadors from the Arab and African countries, representatives from different institutions from the public and private sectors, as well as members of the Lebanese community in Poland.
Ambassador Maalouf delivered a speech in which he mentioned the achievements of each of the Honorees and spoke of the relations between Lebanon and Poland.
Below are the names of the Personalities who were awarded Lebanese Decorations and who were able to attend this event:
– H.E. Mr. Bogusław Zaleski, Undersecretary of State.
– General Stanisław Woźniak, Former Chief of Unifil.
– H.E. Ambassador Krzysztof Płomiński, Director of Africa and Middle EastDepartment at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
– Professor Janusz Danecki, Head of Arabic Studies at Warsaw University.
– Professor Elżbieta Rekłajtis, from the Polish Academy of Science.
– Tomasz Waliszewski, Ph. D., Chief of Polish Archaeological Mission inLebanon.
– Ambassador Antoni Pierzchała, Former Ambassador of Poland to Lebanon.
After his speech, Ambassador Maalouf bestowed upon Ambassador Pierzchała the Order of the Cedar for the rank of Commandeur mentioning the achievements of the Polish Ambassador during his term of duty in Lebanon in 1974-1975.